Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Additional Assignment # 2 for EDM310

This video by Sugata Mitra was a lovely video for me to watch and see just how fast and wonderful children around the world can learn. I do believe that if people want to learn something bad enough they will learn to use and understand it. Children are the best at adapting and figuring out how things operate and function. Yes, children can teach themselves because they have a curious personality about them and they have each others creative ideas that they can pull on for references. First and foremost the individual must have the necessary components to teach themselves or they will not understand what they are doing. For example, one cannot build a plane without first having a schematic of what they plan to build. The computers of today act as our translators and library books that enable people to Google, Ask Jeeves, and translate any word in the world today. The Internet and computers act as wonderful pieces of technology that allow children to explore things in their own language and then put it into an answer that everyone will notice and be able to understand. Children today have a wonderful ability to learn, for that is what we as humans love to do and that is to learn new and interesting things. The desire to learn is a powerful tool for the learning process. Problems give humans a chance to try and figure out which hypothesis will work in solving our problems, also children will easily turn to each other for their opinions and insights, as a result, this will give them a great advantage in problem solving. The best way to motivate someone to learning is to give them a problem and let them figure it out the best that they can. Also let the person take their time so they can fully understand and fix that problem. I learn the best when I have a supportive person who will care about the tries that I make and who will understand that I am human and will make mistakes. The best part about learning is the journey and the finished process for me. Anyone who doesn't want to learn can learn it will take a little extra time from us teachers to properly find what the child will love to do and that will gladly work. I believe that every child wants to learn, however some just need that extra care and time put into them. I love to teach myself different languages because later on when I go to Europe I will be able to speak and understand the general populations better. I do this in the privacy and quietness of my home, so that I may concentrate on what I'm doing. A teacher if he/she is good will excite a child to learning through their actions, words, and time spent with a student. I had a teacher in the sixth grade that always supported me and my chess playing ability and took the time to show me what I was doing wrong and to this day she is one of my most beloved teachers that I remember. This video makes me think and appreciate the effect that only one teacher can have on a multitude of children if they are sincere and love what they do. One question about getting this technology out to these children that I have is were is the money going to come from to implement their education? And why do not more people take the time to respond and see to these children's needs?

No comments:

Post a Comment